Hello! We've recently updated the forum software! New extensions include native image resizing as well as additional spambot countermeasures!

Fixing models exported through Blender

Diatosta
Site Admin

Fixing models exported through Blender

Post by Diatosta » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:23 pm

First of all, sorry if this is the wrong board for this, but this is a problem that has been plaguing me and, although not ideal, I found a solution for it.

If you, as me, have tried making a car for this game using Blender, you most likely noticed that it won't work as intended inside the game.
Well worry not! As I am here to help :)

EDIT: Updated the tutorial to be easier.

I won't explain how to do the modelling and exporting process, as there are a lot of other tutorials for that. However, I am going to guide you through the next steps of putting the car in game.

Before exporting, fix all the object names. Select all objects and check if their export name equals to their internal name. For example, this object doesn't match:

Just change it to the same name:

Do this for all objects, otherwise the game won't accept your car.

What is important is fixing the material names. Some of the materials will be either renamed, duplicated, or both. (I have fixed anyway cause OCD, but it makes no difference).
Go through each object in your car and fix its materials. For example, if you see a material like this:

Just click on the material selector and replace it with the original material, so it is like this:

Another case is the material being duplicated, like here:

Just push it to below the original material and, when it's below it, delete it. This will automatically replace it with the original material, as seen here:

After all the materials are fixed, re export the car to an .obj file. You probably can even replace the original .obj file that you imported into Blender in the first step.

Now open the .mtl file in a text editor like notepad++ or Wordpad.

Now this part is better to do with Blender open to check the materials. For example, if you want your materials to be in a subfolder like "maps", write maps/<texturename>.<extension>. Otherwise, if it's in the same folder as your .obj file, just write the <texturename>.<extension>. For example:

You can see that I highlighted in blue the "Badge" material and in red the "Black" material. Now, the "Badge" material is supposed to have a texture, and it's path is correct ("maps\wheellogo.tga").
However, the "Black" material is not supposed to have a material, and so as we can see, Blender messed up again. No matter, it's an easy fix. Just delete the whole line that references the texture, so it now looks like this:

Now another case is the texture path being incorrect like here:

Damn Blender. Easy fix again. Just put the correct path (in this case its "maps\fxltglowred.tga"). Also, you might notice the second path has a double backslash. It's not supposed to be like that, make it just one. Should be like this:

After both those files have been fixed, the car should be ready to go!
Hope this tutorial has been of use to you :D

The final result: